The Event

Mark and John's event bulletin board.

Friday, August 06, 2004

Many people wanted a copy of the text of the Egyptian Love Poem.

I first heard it from Phillip Glass's Akhnaten


(love poem found in a royal mummy of the Armarna period, from Journal of Egyptian Archeology, translated by Sir Alan Gardiner)
I breathe the sweet breath
that issues from thy mouth.
I behold thy beauty every day.
It is my desire to be rejuvenated with life
through love of thee.
Give me thy hands, holding thy spirit,
that I may receive it and partake of it.
Call thou my name unto eternity, and it shall never fail.


Of course, I remember the words a little differently. I think the breath
should issue from lips instead of a mouth. Also, the French translation
(included in the CD's libretto) "call thou my name" uses the word "vocci",
which could be translated to "give voice to my name" or "invoke my name."

❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home